Build a skill. Save a life.
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA at Austin Community Recreation Center program is the place to begin! You’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard. Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the professional Rescuer with AED, Emergency Oxygen Administration and First Aid. Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
YMCA Lifeguarding (valid for two years)
American Safety and Health Institute CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for one year)
American Safety and Health Institute Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen Administration (valid for two years)
PANDEMIC CONSIDERATIONS For all classes
CPR and First Aid classes have the highest standard for cleanliness and because of the level of safety and cleanliness we adhere to daily, few things have changed for us in the kind of precautions we take in classes with our manikins. However, the YMCA and the American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) have made some adjustments to the way we run CPR and First Aid classes to allow for extra safety precautions during the pandemic. We are primarily offering blended learning skills with scheduled skill practice sessions. Each student will have the opportunity to practice the skills on their own manikin. Sharing of equipment is avoided whenever possible, and careful documentation for the purpose of contract tracing is maintained.
Some lifeguard classes may not always be able to adhere to the CDC guidelines. More details will be provided to participants interested in those classes.
The purpose of the YMCA Lifeguard V6 course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Must be 16 years old on or before the final day of the course.
- Must register for and pass a pre-swim test before entering course.
- Options for taking pre-test
- The pretest includes the following skills:
- 50 yards of each of the following:
- Freestyle face in
- Freestyle face out
- Breaststroke face in
- Breaststroke face out
- Elementary backstroke kick only
- Swim 100 yards freestyle Then complete the following:
- Start in shallow end of pool and spring down to deep end, dive down and retrieve brick, bring brick to the surface, then tread water for 2 minutes without using your hands, then exit the pool without use of the ladder.
- 50 yards of each of the following:
- Upon passing the pre-test the student would then be enrolled in the classroom & online trainings. Payment must be made the day of registration to ensure a spot in the course.
Length of the course:
- 8.5 hours online course work to be completed before the first night of training.
- 27.5 hours of in classroom training. Which will include:
- In person review of CPR/First Aid/O2 training. Including hands on practice and a skills test.
- Training of lifeguard training content including a PowerPoint, in classroom discussion, and in water skills.
- Taking a written Lifeguard skills final exam.
- Upon completion of pre-test, online training, and in classroom training Canidates will receive:
- YMCA Lifeguard V6 Certification (valid for 2 years)
- BLS (Basic Life Support)/AED Certification (valid for 1 year)
- Basic First aid Certification (Valid for 2 years)
- Emergency Oxygen Certification (Valid for 2 years)
|Pre-Test Dates for May Training||Time|
|April 26||4:30 – 5:30pm|
|April 26||5:45 – 6:45pm|
|April 30||6:00 – 7:00pm|
|Pre-Test Dates for June Training||Time|
|June 1||4:30 – 5:30pm|
|June 1||5:45 – 6:45pm|
|June 2||1:30 – 2:30pm|
Candidates MUST pass the Pre-Test before being allowed to register for the Full Course.
|May Training Dates||Time|
|May 7||4:30pm – 7:30pm|
|May 8||8:00am – 4:30pm|
|May 9||8:00am – 4:30pm|
|June Training Dates||Time|
|June 7||8:00am – 4:00pm|
|June 8||8:00am – 5:30pm|
|June 9||8:00am – 12:00pm|
*Must attend all 3 days to be eligible to pass the course.
The purpose of a review course is to give individuals an opportunity to review the course content within a formal course setting. The review course format optimizes a participant’s ability to successfully complete the knowledge and skills evaluations.
|Individuals with a current Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED/O2 certification may participate in the review course.|
|*Also, any individuals who have expired after 8/26/2019 and were unable to re-certify due to COVID may participate in this course.|
|Complete online training prior to class. Length is 8.5 hours.|
|Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activates.|
|Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.|
|Pass the Lifeguard skills final written exams.|
|May Training Date||Time|
|May 10||4:30 – 7:30pm|
|June Training Date||Time|
|June 2||3:30 – 6:00pm|
CPR RECERTIFICATION FOR LIFEGUARDS
The purpose of this course is to give individuals an opportunity to review CPR/AED for Professional Rescue (BLS) course content within a formal course setting. This training is for any lifeguards who need to renew their CPR for the Professional Rescuer or Basic Life Support certification.
|Demonstrate competency in all required skills and actives.|
|Pass the BLS (Basic Life Support) final written exam.|
|March 29||5:00pm – 6:30pm|
Please contact our Aquatics Director, Tracey with any questions by calling 507.433.1804 ext. 104 or by email at email@example.com